Monday 11 August 2014

All things bright and beautiful...

Lake Louise
Wow!
I've been fortunate enough to be some pretty amazing places. The only place that rivals where I went today was Antarctica. If you have never been to the glacial lakes of Canada, go there. If you visited and didn't actually get out on the water, go back! Never have I been so happy to be a SUPer. The ability to rock up, unleash my inflato and jump onto an amazing body of water was out of this world. True, I did have to cope with the envy of every single person on and around both lakes today, but hey, somebody has to be THAT guy :) I even jumped in the water in Lake Louise. Special!
Taking a dip in Lake Loiuse
So the hardest part about today is working out which photos to inflict on this blog. It was a classic case of taking photos as they seemed good, and realising that you have taken too many. The only problem is that when I looked at them, I still ended up with too many.
What an awesome day. I made the drive from Calgary to the mountains. Stopped in at Banff for some brekky, then on to Moraine Lake.
Moraine Lake

Moraine Lake

Moraine Lake

Just for comparison, my water bottle in Moraine Lake! No filters or enhancement.

Moraine Lake

Having a lay down on Moraine Lake
 On the way there managed to pick up 3 hitchhikers. Max was a very friendly Frenchman who had just finished a 5 day hike. Evidently there were no showering facilities on that hike and all going well, when I dropped him in the township of Lake Louise, this was one of his first stops. Lovely guy and spending three months hiking and hitchhiking around Canada. Having left Max and also the windows down, I came across Canadian born, Australian raised Emily and her newly acquainted friend Sam, the Banff residing Australian. Sam and Emily were great. They accompanied me to Moraine Lake, and then to Lake Louise, and thanks to a late running bus even provided some conversation on the way back to Banff.
Lake Louise

Lake Louise down the guts

Just to prove it was me at Lake Louise

I found a Wetspot at Lake Louise

How many angles can you get on this beauty!
 A fortuitous mix up (my fault I'm sure) with my booking saw me have a windfall of about $60 on accommodation and my bed for the night secured. Off to find replenishment for my paddle weary body... I first thought to eat at the the Grizzly, which promised caribou and buffalo, having been rejected from there for being too bald and stylish, I went to Wild Bill's saloon and eatery... What an awesome choice and turn of events. They were full, and only had room at the bar. Not being familiar with such places I wandered in and ordered a very tasty local dark beer and an Elk burger. Where else can you order an elk burger??? The beer was great and the elk outstanding. Finding myself full of elk, but not so full of beer, I ventured a second and settled in to watch some pool. It was an entertaining pair of Australian ex-pats playing a sharkish Saffer. The Aussies (Matty and Nate) were entertaining as Aussies tend to be, and poor old Darius, Marius or Mauritous, whatever his name was, also a gentleman and a man of his own accomplishments. A grandfather at 38, having children ranging from 3 to 24, quite the stayer. As luck would have it, I teamed up with Mauritous, only to go down 2-1 to the talented pairing of Matty and Nate. A great night out to end an incredible day.
Observations from today:
* Water really is blue!!! wow!
* South Africans play some awesome pool before they start drinking real beer
* Banff is mostly made up of Australians
* Why didn't I see people floating, paddling, doing whatever they can down the magnificent Bow river???
* Everybody should own an inflatable SUP. Could not have had this much fun without it!
* Hardest thing about today, finding just a few photos to brag with..


An incredible day! Hope I can sleep tonight!

And for Charlotte, I found a bear :) Pretty sure her name was Charli


No comments:

Post a Comment